Friday, January 28, 2011

Fabulous Fandango turns 17!

Fandango is the annual food/mocktail/cultural fair put on by the students of the Institute of Hotel Management and Catering Technology (IHMCT), Kovalam. This was its seventeenth year and it was well-attended by both domestic and foreign tourists (and presumably many local citizens as well). I think this was the second or third time I attended - it was an enjoyable evening but, in my opinion, still showed some deficiencies in both the student's training and organizational skills vis a vis the expectations of international tourists.

Firstly, I think most international tourists expect that when an event is supposed to begin at 6:30 pm that means that when the doors open and guests arrive they will be able to get food and drink immediately not have to wait an (Indian) 5-10 minutes for their meal/beverage. The scene at many of the food stalls was chaotic - perhaps a ticket system which are used in many shops in Western countries could be utilized so that as people arrive they are given a numbered ticket or token. Then when their number is called out they would place their order. And no queue jumping thank you very much - international tourists do not appreciate it when they see others butting in in front of them.

Secondly, punctuality is also a big part of the entertainment program - the 7:00 o'clock start was missed by probably 45 minutes and began with a lot of usual bumpf that quite frankly we're not particularly interested in as foreigners. I think we (again excuse me for speaking for the whole foreign tourist cadre!) would much more enjoy hearing a little bit more about the college and the accomplishments of the students as well as the student body. For example I know that the students come from all over India and are both male and female. I think many would like to learn more about the curriculum,the course duration and costs. Perhaps even a tour of the college facilities could be offered - I think that would be very interesting and informative.

Thirdly, stage set up needs to be sped up. Perhaps two stages could be used so that as one act is finishing the other can be set up allowing for a smooth and speedy transition.

On the plus side the food was delicious and well-priced. The students are endearing - they are so enthusiastic, earnest and cheerful. Waste was being sorted into organic and non-organic (plastic, paper etc). I am hopeful that this means the organic waste was being composted. Kudos for using real plates, glasses and cutlery and keeping the use of disposable items to a minimum. The entertainment was fine although by the time it started many foreign tourists were feeling fatigued and hot and had probably left. I wonder about using those mister systems like I've seen in Vegas to reduce the heat (it wasn't that hot but the combination of so many people and the cooking made it a bit uncomfortable for some I think).

I didn't get many pictures as it turns out that I don't really know how to set my camera properly for taking pictures at night as half the time the flash doesn't work (have to do some research on that) but here are three I did take.

Good to see this prominent display of a safe-sex message

The main stage with dignitaries and traditional lamp (far right)

Very artistically appealing banner for the Chinese food stall