Sunday, February 13, 2011

Sunday Brunch Trivandrum Style

Decided on this hot day (mid 30s but feeling much hotter in Trivandrum versus the cooler, breezy conditions at Kovalam Beach) that I'd take the half hour bus ride in to Trivandrum and treat myself to Sunday Brunch at the Muthoot Plaza Hotel (one of Trivandrum's leading hotels).

I shamelessly use the Muthoot Plaza as a toilet stop when I am out and about in Trivandrum since a clean place to take a pee is a real find in the city. Today I was pleased to be able to tell the gracious doorman that I was coming to eat lunch not just to duck in and out and use the facilities. On one of these earlier visits I had noticed the sign for Sunday brunch priced at 750 Rs plus tax and including 'bubbles' (which I correctly interpreted as 'champagne' - quotes used since it was Indian champagne which of course is not really champagne at all). 750 Rs is  about $17 Canadian.

It was a pleasant meal but not outstanding. There were some tasty dishes - minted okra, a very nicely done vegetable biriyiani, roast chicken and some tasty breads. What was missing - well there was nothing that I would consider 'breakfasty' either Indian or non. There were no egg dishes or anything like idli or dosas which are South Indian breakfast options. Certainly no sausages, bacon or ham either although that's not so surprising. Also - no cheese which I had hoped for. There was a quite good baked pasta (farfalle as I recall) in a creamy sauce with corn and broccoli.

The champagne was quite good although it went to my head quickly - I am very out of practice and found a single glass quite a task to finish. Hopefully I won't regret that single flute tomorrow! The desserts looked better than they tasted but perhaps this is just my Western bias talking and of course I do have pretty high standards. Coffee was not good but frankly this is fairly common in my experience even at hotels of even higher status than the Muthoot. Such a shame because you can get a really palatable cup of coffee in Tamil Nadu (a state neighbouring Kerala) in almost any level of dining establishment for a reasonable price (probably 12-15 Rs or about 30 cents).

Here are photos of the salads, the desserts and the champagne bottle. More posts coming in the next day or two.

Salads - quail eggs in small bowl in foreground

More salads

Notice bottle says "Methode Champenoise" not champagne!

Desserts - full marks for attractive display