Saturday, March 05, 2011

The wondrously weird jackfruit

The odd-looking jackfruit is not one of my favourites its flesh being - in my opinion - rubbery and with a subtle but not particularly pleasant flavour. It is eaten raw, its pieces are sliced up and deep fried to make chips, it is used as a vegetable in various savoury recipes (thoran, curry) and even the seeds are boiled and eaten.

When I say it is odd-looking I am not so much referring to it as it looks when you cut into it and take out its segments but rather how it looks on the tree. It is, when fully grown and ready for harvesting, about the size of a watermelon. But it is suspended by what looks, to my mind, as a completely inadequate stem.

Below are some shots of jackfruit in situ - am I the only one who thinks they look a bit odd? As if they have been placed there by someone who has no concept of physics and are being held up by some kind of alternative gravity field.

single jackfruit hanging from its slender stem

multiple jackfruit nestled against the trunk of the tree